JIADEP NOTE Osayuwamen "Yuyu" Idubor, a Nigerian national, has been falsely accused of rape. Below are the following materials:
1) Statement of Osayuwamen Idubor April 16, 2008 Tokyo Detention Center 2) A CONVERSATION WITH MRS. IDUBOR As told to Arudou Debito, January 31, 2008 3) Petition Site 4) 被告人イドゥボ・オサユワメン,準強姦被告事件の不合理な点


Statement of Osayuwamen Idubor April 16, 2008 Tokyo Detention Center

I am a Nigerian national born on November 26, 1969. I have lived in Japan for 18 years since 1990. I have been married for two years to a Polish I had met in Japan. I operate a restaurant bar called Big Y's Café at Motomachi in Yokohama city. On January 22, 2007, while I was working at Big Y's Café, police officers came from the Kagacho Police Station and arrested me for raping a Japanese woman on the morning of November 1, 2006, according to the complainant 's accusation that she was raped when heavily drunk. I have nothing to do with the accusation. They arrested me without any material evidence, solely based on the complainant's statements revised a number of times and conflicting with each other. I believe that a female friend of the complainant used the complainant to damage me in court. That friend of the complainant was among my customers. She had caused a trouble in my bar before the accusation. The police helped them by destroying evidence in my favor and eventually prosecuted me. The complainant's statement that she had been drunk too much to move contradicts the facts. On December 10, 2007, the Yokohama District Court declared me guilty with a sentence of three years in prison. However, I am innocent. I did not commit this crime. I am not a rapist or a criminal. I am completely innocent. Thus I filed an appeal immediately. My attorney at law submitted a reason-for-appeal statement on February 25, 2008. To the statement, I would like to add the following. I was coerced to sign deposition documents prepared by the police who promised me that they would not prosecute me if I would sign. Furthermore, the police intentionally hid or lost critical evidence. For example, they erased the phone number of the complainant's friend from my cell phone address book as well as the record of threatening e-mail messages from the same person. Also, because of their failure to investigate the surveillance tape of the camera in my bar, subsequent data overwrote the tape automatically and erased the record for the day in question. The police never documented detailed description of the relationship between the complainant and her friend, effectively hiding the intent of the accusation. Last and again, I would like to have your attention on the fact that I did not commit this crime. I am innocent. I love my wife truly and deeply. We have built a happy home. I request the court to give me fair trial and ruling so that we can restore our life to normal. ----------


2008416 オサユワメン・イドゥボ(東京拘置所在監)

私は19691126日生まれのナイジェリア人です。1990年から日本に18年間住んで来ました。2年前に日本で知り合ったポーランド人と結婚しました。横浜市の元町で「Big Y's Cafe」という飲食店を経営しています。 私はそのBig Y's Cafe2007122日に加賀署の警官に逮捕されました。容疑は、告訴人の日本人女性の言うところによれば、酔っていた彼女を2006111日の朝にレイプしたというものでした。まったく身に覚えがありません。逮捕は物証なく、一転二転して相互にくいちがいのある申立てにのみ基づいて行なわれました。告訴人の女性の友人が彼女を利用して私に対する訴訟を起こさせたものと思います。告訴人の友人は私の店の客でしたが、以前、私との間にトラブルがありました。警察は、私に有利な証拠を破壊することによって彼女らを助けて起訴に至りました。告訴人が店で身動きできないほど酔っていたというのも事実に反します。 私は20071210日に横浜地方裁判所で懲役3年の有罪判決を言い渡されました。しかし、私は無実です。私はこの犯罪を犯していません。私はレイピストではなく、犯罪者でもありません。完全に潔白です。そこで、直ちに控訴しました。  控訴の趣意は弁護人から2008225日に控訴趣意書を提出しました。私は次の事項を付け加えて述べたいと思います。警察官による供述調書は、署名すれば不起訴にするとの約束で、署名させられたものです。また、警察官は重要な証拠を隠したり、なくしたりしました。例えば、私の携帯電話のアドレス帳から告訴人の友人の電話番号が消され、彼女から私へ送られてきた脅迫メールの記録も消されていました。また、私の店の監視カメラの記録を調べなかったために、新しい内容が自動的に上書きされ、当日の記録は消されました。また、警察官は彼女たちの意図が分かるような告訴人とその友人の詳細な関係を調書に書きませんでした。 最期にもう一度申し上げます。私は無実です。私はこの犯罪を犯していません。 結婚した妻を心から愛しています。私達は幸福な家庭を営んできました。平穏な日常生活へ戻れるよう、公正に判断していただきたくお願いいたします。



A CONVERSATION WITH MRS. IDUBOR As told to Arudou Debito, January 31, 2008

A friend and I went to Big Y's Cafe, a mere two blocks from Yokohama's Chinatown for the second time on January 23. We sat down with Mrs Idubor to talk about life after one's husband has been taken away under really odd circumstances. Here's an account from her perspective--for where else are you going to hear it? =================================== Osayuwamen Idubor, known by his nickname of "Yuyu", has been in Japan in various capacities for eighteen years. He's run a few bars and hostess bars, been on famous TV show KOKO GA HENDAYO NIHONJIN, and tried to make a go of it here despite a lot of bumps in the road. "Even though all of his licenses were in order, the police kept raiding his places and finding reasons to check his records." He finally got completely out of the hostess economy and just went into regular barkeeping, which is where he met and married his wife about two years ago. But even when you try to keep your life on track--network, run a business, start a family--things have a habit of going wrong when you're an international couple in Japan. In this case, the distaff side is from an Eastern-European country, and Yuyu from an African country (Nigeria)--a place our Tokyo Governor has accused of spoiling his town by dumbing it down: --------------------------------------- "Roppongi is now virtually a foreign neighborhood. Africans--I don't mean African-Americans--who don't speak English are there doing who knows what. This is leading to new forms of crime such as car theft. We should be letting in people who are intelligent." (Ishihara Shintaro, February 19, 2007) --------------------------------------- Listening to Mrs. Idubor's account, one began to wonder whether Yuyu, a very tall, broad, dark African, had in fact been caught in a crackdown. In November 2006, Yuyu was accused of raping a Japanese woman in his bar. The allegations involved her getting uncontrollably drunk on November 1, being assaulted and dragged around the premises, then having unconsensual sexual relations. Then, er, being (by her own admission for the record) driven home by Yuyu later on in the morning, and her meeting a friend for lunch. There was no immediate accusation of rape afterwards, the police did not come by the bar to investigate, there was no rape kit collecting biological data, there were no photographs of her body showing indicative injury or bruising, and no indicative marks or remains on her clothing. In short, there was no material evidence of rape whatsoever. Just her word against his. Moreover, there were inconsistences in her word, particularly about being dragged around the bar (when outdoor equipment had been stowed inside after closing, making it harder to get around the room). You can read more about the inconsistencies in the charges against Yuyu from his lawyer at: http://www.debito.org/index.php/?p=537 When the accusation was made, Mrs Idubor of course did some investigating of her own. The bar makes security videotapes of all customers who enter the bar, and she examined them for any odd events during that night. She saw nothing untoward. The tapes, however, were not saved. The machine automatically erased them after ten days--and they did not realize they would be necessary--police did not start investigating this case until January 22, 2007, more than two months later. And when she testified as such in court, the judge dismissed her testimony as mere wife's defense. Mrs Idubor believes that Yuyu's arrest and interrogation was instigated by another series of odd events that occurred in mid-January 2007. Their bar is open until the last customer leaves, usually until around 5 or 6AM. But the police were at that time enforcing stricter parking rules, and had cautioned Yuyu not to park in front of the premises. However, for business purposes, a driver is allowed five minutes for loading and unloading, and that's the amount of time Yuyu took. However, Mrs Idubor says, "First thing in the morning, with another car parked out front, and parked for only two minutes, we come outside and found a ticket from the police on our car only, and the policeman trying to get away. Yuyu felt he was being unfairly targeted, got very angry, told the police to take back the ticket, and soon twenty police had come here trying to decide what to do. When a senior policeman agreed to take back the ticket, I felt like somebody had lost face. Because one week later, two months after that woman said the crime happened, that's when they came back to arrest and investigate my husband on rape charges." Yuyu was incarcerated awaiting trial from January 2007 until December 2007. He was denied any chance of bail because, according to his lawyer, Mr Tsurusaki, "foreigners aren't allowed bail in Japan because they might leave the country". He was denied medical treatment for a bleeding ear and a rash in his scalp the entire time. He was put in small detention cells until his lawyer and the Nigerian Embassy negotiated for something more his size. And he was put on trial for rape. There were several odd things again during the criminal investigation. One was that evidence that might prove motive on the part of the accuser conveniently disappeared or were ignored. For example, Yuyu had four cellphones, all impounded by the police. He did not receive many emails, preferring to do his conversations live, but one email that was influential was from the alleged rape victim herself. "You destroyed my relationship with my boyfriend. I'll never forgive you. I'll make you regret this," she allegedly wrote to him in romanized Japanese. However, Mrs Idubor only received three phones back from the police, and the one missing (which is still in police custody) had the email. The police, however, officially reported that no email from the accuser was on it. So Mrs. Idubor believes it was probably deleted. What is the plaintiff's relationship with Yuyu? It's complicated, but she was the (former) girlfriend of a fellow Nigerian, who took a trip outside Japan and asked Yuyu to keep an eye on her. When he did, and it became clear that she had something going on the side, she sought revenge on Yuyu. She even intimated that she even had friends in the police. Again, read his side of the story at http://www.debito.org/index.php/?p=1199 Again, the police took two months ignoring the case after the original date of the alleged rape--there wasn't even a visit from the police in the interim to ask Yuyu any questions. Then he was arrested in January. One gets the impression that it wasn't until the traffic cop altercation that the regular police decided to haul him in for a year of questioning. Then he was convicted (his lawyer predicted as such--setting him free after a year's incarceration would entitle Yuyu to a year's worth of back pay as damages from the National Police Agency) and sentenced to three years in jail (less the year he's served so far). Read the court decision in Japanese at http://www.debito.org/iduborchisaihanketsu.pdf Life is pretty rough for Mrs Idubor alone. Their landlord is trying to evict them from their bar, as he's now a convicted criminal. Somebody managed to cut all their bar's power cables, requiring a substantial investment to hook back to the grid. Her bicycle has been vandalized. Yuyu still has not been allowed to see a prison doctor for his ear and scalp. She is allowed fifteen minutes a day to visit on weekdays, strictly enforced, and she visits him five times a week. They were still newlyweds when they were separated, and were ready to settle down and start a family. But clearly that will have to be put on hold until Yuyu gets out of jail (or is sprung by the High Court; the case is on appeal) in two years. I asked if even after all this, they still wanted to stay in Japan. Mrs Idubor said she wouldn't under any circumstances, "even if you gave me a million dollars". As soon as he's out, they're out. This is what happens when you feel constantly targeted in society. =================================== CONCLUSION Stepping out of my narrator's role for a minute and speaking my own opinion, I find this situation genuinely frightening. A person was arrested (fortunately, he wasn't alone--but in Japan if you're arrested on the street, for not, say, carrying your Gaijin Card, you simply disappear for at least a few days or weeks for interrogation) with no evidence against them, denied bail because he's a foreigner, and thrown into jail with presumption of guilt (with tortuous interrogation conditions until you confess to something). Yuyu did not confess, but it didn't matter. More than 99% of all people who go to trial are convicted in Japan. And if you can go down for somebody pointing the finger at you despite no evidence, that means this sort of thing could happen to anyone. You, for example. Know anyone with a grudge against you? Watch out. Four years ago, I escorted a reporter (and his interpreter and photographer, both Japanese) from a major world newspaper to Wakkanai and Monbetsu to report on "Japanese Only" signs. Unfortunately, the photographer refused to do his job (i.e. take pictures of the bar signs), and I questioned his professionality. He lost his cool, and attacked me in a blind rage in a bar's rest room. It's a long story, and someday I'll probably get around to telling it. But the point is, I asked the bar to call the cops and have this man taken in for assault. They refused. In retrospect, that was probably the right decision. If anything, as in the Per Bodner Case (http://www.debito.org/index.php/?p=938), they would probably have arrested me instead. 'Cos I'm the White Guy. Finger marks on my throat or not, I'm the one who comes under suspicion. That is one of the facts of life for foreigners (or foreign-looking peoples) who live in Japan. They are more likely to fall under suspicion in the eyes of the Japanese police, who practice Racial Profiling as a well-nigh. In a country where even the Tokyo Governor can repeatedly disparage entire minorities in public without censure, Yuyu and his wife would agree. Arudou Debito Sapporo, Japan January 31, 2008 ENDS


Petition Site

Hi Friends, I have just read and signed the petition: Help foreigner in danger in Japan http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/help-foreigner-in-danger-in-japan Thanks!



231-0011 神奈川県横浜市中区太田町1-20三和ビル4A つるさき法律事務所   弁護士 津留﨑 基行
 裁判で争われている公訴事実 平成18111日午前630分ころから同日午前930分ころまでの間に,飲食店店長であった被告人が,酩酊して抵抗不能な状態になっている客の女性を姦淫したというもの(準強姦)。 2 証拠の概況 かかる強姦の事実があったことを示す物的な証拠は全くないと言っても過言ではなく,被害者の女性の供述がほぼ唯一の証拠となっている。 もちろん,被告人は強姦の事実は否定しており,姦淫の事実すらないと述べている。 ところが,被害者の女性の供述は以下の通り極めて不合理な点が多い。 3 被害者女性による供述の不合理な点 被害者女性は複数の供述調書を残し,かつ公判廷でも証人として証言したが,供述する度に供述内容が変遷しており一貫していない。 例えば,被害者女性は店の中でテキーラの一気飲みを3回したと供述しているが,最初の1杯を飲んだときに酔いが回って店の中で寝てしまったと供述したこともあれば,3回目に飲むまでは酔っていなかったと供述していることもある。また,レイプされている最中,自分の顔の上に被告人の顔があったと供述したこともあれば,被告人の顔は見えなかったと供述していることもある。 また,被害者女性の供述は,客観的証拠とも合致していない点がある。 例えば,被害者女性は被害に遭った後,パンティーに血がにじんでいたと供述しているが,証拠として提出されているパンティーの写真には血は付着していない。また,被害者女性は被告人に店舗の床の上で引きずられたと供述しているが,証拠として提出されている着衣の写真は全く汚れていない。 その他,被害者の供述は,その供述内容自体が不自然である点が多い。 例えば,被害者は,強姦の際に抵抗できないほど酔っていたと供述しながら,その直後に床上を這って店舗の入り口付近まで進んだと述べ,また,這って動くくらいかできないはずであるのに,その場所で足も届かないような高い椅子に自ら腰掛けたと述べ,そのようにする力があるにもかかわらず施錠もされていない店舗の外に逃げようともしていない。 また,強姦の被害に遭った後,強姦した犯人であるはずの被告人の運転する車で友人宅まで送ってもらったと被害者は供述しているが,この点も通常は信じがたいところである。 また,強姦の様子についても,その所要時間は1,2分程度で,犯人は射精もせずに自発的に姦淫行為を中断したと被害者が供述している点についても,通常は信じがたいところである。 強姦被害に遭った当日の行動についても,被害者は当日の朝に抵抗できないほど酔った状態で強姦の被害に遭ったと供述しているにもかかわらず,同日の昼には友人の彼氏と2人でレストランに行って食事をとったと供述しており,強姦被害者の行動としては不自然といわざるを得ない。 以上指摘した他にも,被害者の供述の中には,多数の不合理な点が含まれている。 4 弁護人の考え 本件に関する証拠を吟味し,被告人との面会を重ねてきた弁護人は,被告人が本件について完全に無罪であることを確信している。 そこで,是非とも無罪判決を勝ち取りたいと切望している。 5 要請事項 時折,ニュースにおいて,真実は無実であるにもかかわらず有罪判決を受け,それが後に無罪であることが判明したという事件が報じられることがあるが,このようなケースは氷山の一角である。 日本の刑事裁判の実態としては,起訴されれば99.9%有罪判決が出されるのが現状であり,どんなに弁護人が無罪を確信し,弁護活動をしたとしてもなかなか無罪判決が出されることはない。 刑事裁判官の側に立てば,別の見方もありうるが,上のような現状認識が刑事弁護に携わっている多くの弁護士の共通認識であろうと思われる。 とはいえ,このような現状を打破し,刑事裁判の結果を左右させるために,直接的に担当裁判所に対して政治的な圧力をかけるような行為は,裁判の公正を害する行為であるから慎まなければならない。 有効なことは,公正な裁判が実現されるのかどうかを多くの人々が見守っているという事実を裁判所に何らかの形で知ってもらうことである。そのような監視の目があることを裁判所が認識すれば,公正な裁判を実現するために裁判所としては拙速を避けて慎重な審理を心がける可能性がある。 例えば,裁判の傍聴は広く認められた権利であることから,多くの人達が裁判を傍聴することになれば,それによって裁判所も監視の目があることを意識するものと考えられる。 もしも,次回の裁判期日(平成19719日午後330分~午後5時)に多くの傍聴希望者がいるとすれば,できる限り多くの傍聴人が裁判を傍聴できるように,広い法廷に変更してもらったり,傍聴人用の補助椅子を用意してもらうなどの要求を当職から裁判所に伝えたいと考えている。